Enabling Technical Agility for the Lean Enterprise with Certified SAFe® Agile Software Engineer
The discipline of software engineering has evolved with the introduction of Lean-Agile and DevOps principles and practices. New skills and approaches help organizations deliver software-centric solutions faster, more predictably, and with higher quality.
During this three-day, workshop-oriented course, attendees learn the foundational principles and practices that make up the Agile Software Engineering discipline. Attendees learn how continuous flow of value delivery and built-in quality are enabled by modern practices including XP technical practices, Behavioral-Driven Development (BDD), and Test-Driven Development (TDD).
Attendees learn proven practices to detail, model, design, implement, verify, and validate stories in a SAFe Continuous Delivery Pipeline. They will know the practices that build quality into code (abstraction, encapsulation, intentional programming) and designs (SOLID, Design patterns). Attendees also understand how Software Engineering fits into the larger solution context and their role in collaborating on intentional architecture and DevOps.
To perform the role of a SAFe® Agilist, attendees should be able to:
- Define Agile Software Engineering and the underlying values, principles, and practices
- Apply the Test-First principle to create alignment between tests and requirements
- Create shared understanding with Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicate with Agile modeling
- Design from context for testability
- Build applications with code and design quality
- Utilize the test infrastructure for automated testing
- Collaborate on intentional architecture and emergent design
- Apply Lean-Agile Principles to optimize the flow of value
- Create an Agile Software Engineering plan
- Introduction to Agile Software Engineering
- Connecting Principles, and Practices to Built-In Quality
- Accelerating Flow
- Applying Intentional Architecture
- Thinking Test-First
- Discovering Story Details
- Creating a Shared Understanding with Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicating with Models
- Building Systems with Code Quality
- Building Systems with Design Quality
- Implementing with Quality
What Attendees Get
The class registration includes:
- Student Workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Certification of completion
- Certified SAFe 5 Agile Software Engineer certification upon passing of exam
- One Certification exam attempt (re-takes at an additional fee)
Who will benefit?
The following individuals will benefit from this course:
- Scrum Master
- Agile Coach
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- Senior Manager
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, the following prerequisites are highly recommended:
- Understanding of SAFe for Teams
- Background in engineering, development, managing development, or quality assurance
SAFe Certification Kit
Becoming a Certified SAFe®
Agile Software Engineer requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many Software Engineers. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® Agile Software Engineer PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® Agile Software Engineer digital badge to promote the accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the ASE Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that provide connections to other certified SAFe professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey
- Certifications expire one year from the date the certification is earned.
- Renewal fee is $100.
- Exam name – SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer Exam – or – SAFe® 5 Agile Software Engineer Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® 5 Agile Software Engineering course
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2.0 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions – 60
- Passing score – 42 out of 60 (70%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.